Over a Century of Help in Oklahoma
Sunday, January 15, marked the 33rd Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. On the third Sunday of January each year, our nation celebrates the sacred nature of life and renews the commitment to protect and promote the lives of those most vulnerable. However, we’ve been working toward the protection of life and family for far more than 33 years. This year marks our 117th year of serving Oklahomans as a pro-life advocate and adoption agency. Learn more about Deaconess and how you can join us in protecting the sanctity of all lives.
Deaconess Pregnancy and Adoption began as the Oklahoma Rescue Home on December 31, 1900 in what was then known as Indian Territory. It wasn’t until 1907 that Oklahoma gained statehood, by which point our “little house on the prairie” had already taken in dozens of women and children in need of help and hope.
Throughout the next century, our agency would go on to help thousands of women experiencing unexpected or crisis pregnancies and place more than 5,500 children for adoption. However, we provide a number of other services in addition to adoption guidance and placement.
How We Help
At Deaconess, we focus on three main aspects of service: helping women in crisis pregnancies, creating families through adoption, and providing ongoing support and counseling for all triad members throughout the adoption journey. Each of these pillars requires varying levels of expertise which we provide to any and all who might need them.
We provide many services to women in unplanned pregnancies, including:
- Counseling Services – At Deaconess, we desire to help women deal with the stress and uncertainty of pregnancy, birth, adoption and more. We provide pre- and post-birth counseling along with opportunities to interact with others who are also experiencing an unplanned pregnancy.
- Adoption Planning – If you decide to make an adoption plan for your child, we offer care-oriented adoption services, including a variety of waiting families to choose from. Open and closed adoptions are available.
- Gatherings for Birth Mothers – We hold gatherings for birth mothers throughout the year to provide encouragement and support. We believe that adoption should go beyond a one-time encounter, and we encourage people touched by adoption to come together in support and celebration.
- Medical & Social Referrals – If you’re having trouble finding a doctor or need other medical or social services, we can provide referrals so you can get the help you need.
- Financial Assistance – For women in need, we provide limited financial assistance for food, shelter, clothing and also offer the opportunity to receive educational grants.
In addition to many services for birth families, we also provide help and services for adoptive families, including:
- Educational Seminars – We provide education for parents seeking to adopt in Oklahoma, including educational resources for adopting infants and older children.
- Child Placement Services – If you’re seeking a child to adopt, we offer placement services to help you create or complete your family.
- Domestic Home Study Providers – One of the most stressful aspects of adoption is the home study. We help prospective adoptive families by providing this service or through connecting families to an appropriate provider.
- Post-Adoption Support & Guidance – Your adoption journey doesn’t end once the adoption is finalized. If you need help, support, or guidance after your adoption, Deaconess can provide it for you.
- Resource Library – In addition to counseling and education, we also provide a resource library with books on parenting, adoption, and other common issues and needs. Our resource library is open to all of our adoptive families free of charge.
- Search and Reunion Services – For birth families or adult adoptees seeking information about the other party, we provide expert search and reunion services. We also provide support and counseling services for triad members in need of guidance.
At Deaconess Pregnancy & Adoption, we provide services for birth parents, adoptive families, children added to their families through adoption, and adult adoptees throughout their entire adoption journey. All of our services are focused on preserving the sanctity and blessedness of human life. If you would like to learn more about how we can help you and your family with every aspect of your pregnancy & adoption journey, call us today at (405) 949-4200 or visit our Facebook page.